Thursday, October 14, 2010

Strong showings continue

After strong showings in the RC 44 Match Racing World Champoinship, BMW ORACLE Racing team sailors are off to a solid start in the fleet racing portion of the regatta.


BMW ORACLE Racing, featuring team CEO Russell Coutts as tactician, holds first after three races with the low score of 9 points on finishes of 2-5-2.

The yacht 17, with Jimmy Spithill as tactician, is second with 15 points with a 3-11-1.


The fleet racing differs from the match racing in that amateurs are at the helm. In the case of BMW ORACLE Racing local sailor Jose Juan Calero (helm, above) is guiding BMW ORACLE Racing while Anders Myralf (helm, below) of Denmark is back for his third stint at the helm of 17.


“I was not supposed to sail this event, but at last moment they asked me if I could skipper. I’m really enjoying the situation as you could imagine,” said Jose Juan Calero. “I feel like I’m in heaven. I’m learning quite a lot with these guys. It’s a life experience. I’m so happy.”


Myralf said he was happy with the first and third races, but not the middle one when they placed 11th. “We just need to sail odd-numbered races,” he quipped.