Friday, July 30, 2010

17 racks up the bullets

Whether it was the amateur driver, changed conditions or new found boatspeed, 17 was “en fuego” today on Day 1 of the fleet racing portion of the RC 44 Valencia Cup.

Coming out of the match racing skipper James Spithill said they needed more boatspeed. They had plenty today as Anders Myralf of Denmark guided the 17 crew to three first place finishes and a fourth to wrest control.

“I have the easiest job on the boat,” said Myralf. “They ask me to do specific things so I just focus on the telltales and the instruments. I never even saw the racecourse until finishing.”

Anders Myralf (right), James Spithill (left) and the 17 crew
The fleet racing requires amateur helmsmen to be on the “handle bars.” Myralf, who sails the Farr 40 Nanooq with the Prince of Denmark, first joined the crew during last month’s Copenhagen Cup, and likely will be in the same position for the rest of the year.

“I was surprised when Jimmy e-mailed me and asked me to do the rest of the season,” said Myralf. “I immediately cleared my calendar.”

Our second boat in the series, BMW ORACLE Racing, holds fifth tonight after steadily improving throughout the day with finishes of 10-6-4-2 with guest Maxim Logutenko of Russia’s Team Synergy guiding the way.

“The start of the day was not easy. It was so light and shifty, and our speed wasn’t very good,” said Logutenko. “But our communications got better as the day went on, and as the wind built I could feel the boat better.”

Maxim Logutenko (2nd from left)
The characteristic sea breeze that marked the match racing portion of the regatta was absent today, replaced by a streaky and shifty easterly. Only late in the day did the southeasterly materialize around 12 knots.

Racing resumes tomorrow with four races scheduled beginning at 1:00 pm CET.

Racing as viewed from Malvarrosa Beach
BMW ORACLE Racing leads Mascalzone Latino
Bowmen lined up for a start
Starboard jibe down the run