Tuesday, February 2, 2010

We've come a long way

The USA is a state-of-the-art, extreme machine, purpose built to win the America's Cup. The trimaran, with its wing sail, has been clocked at over 40 knots during training sessions.

Recently we heard from a friend of the team who wanted to share a bit of American trimaran history and attached a cover article from the July 1956 issue of Popular Mechanics.


Matey Kirshner picks up the story in his email to us:

"The article focuses the first American trimaran which was designed, tested and  built by my great grand-father, Dr. Edwards Herman, in his barn in Lincoln, Massachusetts.

"Our family comes from a long line of traditional sailors – once trading pepper between Boston and Sumatra – and more recently cruising Friendship Sloops (or in my case renting slightly worn 22 foot Capris out of Marina del Rey, California every chance I get)- and the “Tri-Pont” caused quite a stir in the traditional waters south of Cape Cod.


"I have followed the America’s Cup very closely and been a fan of Russell’s since 1995. I watch and transcribe race reports for my grandparents (son of Dr. Herman featured in the article) so they can follow along with the action from their island house in Maine. My brother-in-law is a Kiwi and I had the opportunity to watch some of the match racing down in Auckland last January (the Louis Vuitton Pacific Series) and it was a real thrill. I am rooting for you guys with everything I’ve got!!!

"Certainly  you guys have shown that the trimaran has come a long way."